Philippines stops dengue immunization after Sanofi-Pasteur's new finding_World_Asia Pacific Daily

To download APD News app

1. Please scan the QR Code 2. Download and install APD News App

Philippines stops dengue immunization after Sanofi-Pasteur's new finding

World2017-12-01

By APD writer MELO M. ACUNA MANILA, Dec.1 (APD) – The Department of Health has suspended its dengue immunization program after vaccine maker and supplier Sanofi-Pasteur, released its recent findings that their product Dengvaxia has shown adverse reactions to people who were not previously infected by the virus. Despite the fact it has shown “consistent and sustained” benefit for those who were previously infected with the dengue virus, Sanofi-Pasteur said “in the longer term, more cases of severe disease could occur following the vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection.” “These findings highlight the complex nature of dengue infection,” Sanofi-Pasteur said in its latest statement last Wednesday, November 29. Dr. Su-Pieng Ng, global medical head of Sanofi-Pasteur said they have already called on health authorities to ensure that “prescribes, vaccinations and patients are fully informed of the new findings, with the goal of enhancing the impact of Dengvaxia in the dengue-affected countries.” In 2016, the country’s Department of Health launched its dengue vaccination initiative in three highly endemic regions which included the most populous regions of Central Luzon, CALABARZON and the National Capital Region, all in the northern island of Luzon with over 700,000 receiving at least one dose of the vaccine. Philippine government health officials said the immunization program was in accordance with the recommendation of the World Health Organization for mass vaccination in highly endemic countries. It was last Wednesday, November 29, when the Department of health received a preliminary briefing on updated information on the dengue vaccine known as Dengvaxia. Because of the recent findings, the Department of Health will suspend the program “while review and consultation is ongoing with experts, key stakeholders and the WHO.” It further committed to strengthening and intensifying its surveillance and monitoring to evaluate the program and ensure safety. An average of 200,000 Dengue cases have been reported in the Philippines and health authorities have considered vaccination essential to the integrated approach in dengue prevention and control. So far, there is no reported case of severe dengue dengue infection among those vaccinated since 2016. Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III, in a statement released today said his office “assures the public that it is serious in carrying out its mandate to always guard the health and well-being of its constituents” and that they will ensure that vaccines are always safe and effective to optimize its health benefits.” The Philippines in December 2015 because the first Asian country to approve the sale of Dengvaxia, acknowledged to be the world’s first dengue vaccine. It entered the Philippine market in January 2016. It was learned the Department of Health began its dengue vaccination program in April 2016 with an initial target of a million children which will be given in three doses after every six months. Secretary Duque said the vaccination program has not ended because it is scheduled to end by January 2018. The Deparment of Health said they will stop the dengue vaccination program after the third and final round of idoses as they await results of the pilot program and formulate plans for a second trance. Accordingly, the government has spent about P 2.9 billion for the Dengvaxia vaccine as each dose costs P 1,000. The suspension covers government health workers and facilities while private medical practitioners and private patients will have to decide for themselves. Secretary Duque said they will review the contract between the government and Sanofi and verify the circumstances to determine should anybody be held liable. A meeting between the Department of Health, Sanofi-Pasteur and the World Health Organization has been scheduled for either December 12 or 13 in Manila. The DoH-Sanofi deal was investigated by both Houses of Congress and records disclosed the amount spent for the vaccine reached P 3.5 billion. Both Houses have not released their findings up to this date. (ASIA PACIFIC DAILY)

By APD writer MELO M. ACUNA

MANILA, Dec.1 (APD) – The Department of Health has suspended its dengue immunization program after vaccine maker and supplier Sanofi-Pasteur, released its recent findings that their product Dengvaxia has shown adverse reactions to people who were not previously infected by the virus.

Despite the fact it has shown “consistent and sustained” benefit for those who were previously infected with the dengue virus, Sanofi-Pasteur said “in the longer term, more cases of severe disease could occur following the vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection.”

“These findings highlight the complex nature of dengue infection,” Sanofi-Pasteur said in its latest statement last Wednesday, November 29.

Dr. Su-Pieng Ng, global medical head of Sanofi-Pasteur said they have already called on health authorities to ensure that “prescribes, vaccinations and patients are fully informed of the new findings, with the goal of enhancing the impact of Dengvaxia in the dengue-affected countries.”

In 2016, the country’s Department of Health launched its dengue vaccination initiative in three highly endemic regions which included the most populous regions of Central Luzon, CALABARZON and the National Capital Region, all in the northern island of Luzon with over 700,000 receiving at least one dose of the vaccine.

Philippine government health officials said the immunization program was in accordance with the recommendation of the World Health Organization for mass vaccination in highly endemic countries.

It was last Wednesday, November 29, when the Department of health received a preliminary briefing on updated information on the dengue vaccine known as Dengvaxia.

Because of the recent findings, the Department of Health will suspend the program “while review and consultation is ongoing with experts, key stakeholders and the WHO.”

It further committed to strengthening and intensifying its surveillance and monitoring to evaluate the program and ensure safety.

An average of 200,000 Dengue cases have been reported in the Philippines and health authorities have considered vaccination essential to the integrated approach in dengue prevention and control.

So far, there is no reported case of severe dengue dengue infection among those vaccinated since 2016.

Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III, in a statement released today said his office “assures the public that it is serious in carrying out its mandate to always guard the health and well-being of its constituents” and that they will ensure that vaccines are always safe and effective to optimize its health benefits.”

The Philippines in December 2015 because the first Asian country to approve the sale of Dengvaxia, acknowledged to be the world’s first dengue vaccine. It entered the Philippine market in January 2016.

It was learned the Department of Health began its dengue vaccination program in April 2016 with an initial target of a million children which will be given in three doses after every six months.

Secretary Duque said the vaccination program has not ended because it is scheduled to end by January 2018.

The Deparment of Health said they will stop the dengue vaccination program after the third and final round of idoses as they await results of the pilot program and formulate plans for a second trance.

Accordingly, the government has spent about P 2.9 billion for the Dengvaxia vaccine as each dose costs P 1,000.

The suspension covers government health workers and facilities while private medical practitioners and private patients will have to decide for themselves.

Secretary Duque said they will review the contract between the government and Sanofi and verify the circumstances to determine should anybody be held liable.

A meeting between the Department of Health, Sanofi-Pasteur and the World Health Organization has been scheduled for either December 12 or 13 in Manila.

The DoH-Sanofi deal was investigated by both Houses of Congress and records disclosed the amount spent for the vaccine reached P 3.5 billion.

Both Houses have not released their findings up to this date.

(ASIA PACIFIC DAILY)

Hot Recommended

  • China's State Grid eyes further investment along Belt and Road

  • NDRC signs Belt and Road agreement with HKSAR

  • B&R by the Numbers: Belt and Road projects need language talents

  • Philippine Congress approves much-awaited tax reform bill

  • Marker for Filipino comfort women unveiled

  • Drama queen Song takes on new role as ravishing diplomat