To download APD News app

1. Please scan the QR Code 2. Download and install APD News App

Harvey Weinstein: prosecutors consider first charges

Lifestyle2018-01-03

Prosecutors are considering bringing charges against disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein after police in Beverly Hills handed over two investigations. They are believed to be the first cases considered by prosecutors since dozens of women came forward to accuse the producer of sexual harassment and assault. The Los Angeles county district attorney’s office announced the development on Tuesday, but did not discuss specifics of the allegations. Spokesman Greg Risling said: “Two cases have been presented to our office by the Beverly Hills police department regarding Mr Weinstein and are under review.” Risling also announced that police handed over five files on film-maker James Toback, who has been publicly accused of harassment by actors including Selma Blair and Julianne Moore. Toback, 73, has not been directly contactable but has denied the claims to the Rolling Stone magazine and the Los Angeles Times, which has reported that more than 200 women have made allegations against him. The Beverly Hills cases are being reviewed by a taskforce established by district attorney Jackie Lacey to handle any criminal complaints arising from the Hollywood scandal. Beverly Hills police spokeswoman Lieutenant Elisabeth Albanese confirmed the cases had been handed over by the force. “We’re not releasing any details about the case until the review’s been completed by the DA’s office and they make a decision on whether or not they are going to file any charges,” she added. The force previously announced it had received “multiple complaints” against Weinstein, 65, who has denied any allegations of non-consensual sex. Police in New York and London are also investigating accusations against Weinstein. (THE GUARDAIN)

Prosecutors are considering bringing charges against disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein after police in Beverly Hills handed over two investigations.

They are believed to be the first cases considered by prosecutors since dozens of women came forward to accuse the producer of sexual harassment and assault.

The Los Angeles county district attorney’s office announced the development on Tuesday, but did not discuss specifics of the allegations.

Spokesman Greg Risling said: “Two cases have been presented to our office by the Beverly Hills police department regarding Mr Weinstein and are under review.”

Risling also announced that police handed over five files on film-maker James Toback, who has been publicly accused of harassment by actors including Selma Blair and Julianne Moore.

Toback, 73, has not been directly contactable but has denied the claims to the Rolling Stone magazine and the Los Angeles Times, which has reported that more than 200 women have made allegations against him.

The Beverly Hills cases are being reviewed by a taskforce established by district attorney Jackie Lacey to handle any criminal complaints arising from the Hollywood scandal.

Beverly Hills police spokeswoman Lieutenant Elisabeth Albanese confirmed the cases had been handed over by the force. “We’re not releasing any details about the case until the review’s been completed by the DA’s office and they make a decision on whether or not they are going to file any charges,” she added.

The force previously announced it had received “multiple complaints” against Weinstein, 65, who has denied any allegations of non-consensual sex. Police in New York and London are also investigating accusations against Weinstein.

(THE GUARDAIN)

Hot Recommended