Protest continues over chokehold death of black man on New York subway



Demonstrations went on in New York City on Saturday, five days after 30-year-old black man Jordan Neely was allegedly choked to death by 24-year-old white U.S. marine veteran Daniel Penny on a subway in the city.

Protesters angry about Neely's death took over a busy Manhattan subway stop, with some of them jumping to the tracks near the electrified third rail, according to police and witness videos. Police made several arrests with some of those arrested still being processed at the scene hours later, witnesses said.

Videos showed a line of protesters on one of the tracks serving the F and Q trains. At least one of them displayed a protest sign. Subway officials shut the service on the F and Q lines around 6:15 p.m. local time (2215 GMT). Service resumed around 7 p.m. (2300 GMT), but was delayed, said the transit authority.

Neely reportedly had a mental breakdown on the F train on Monday. Witnesses claimed he was yelling and pacing back and forth until Penny put him in a chokehold, which was recorded on cell phone cameras and went viral.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced on Wednesday that "senior, experienced prosecutors" are investigating Neely's death, which the city's medical examiner determined was a homicide caused by compression of the neck. A grand jury could be convened next week to hear evidence in the case.

Democratic U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whose district includes neighborhoods in the New York City boroughs of the Bronx and Queens, said Neely was murdered and called for Penny's arrest.

Protest organizers called the act a "lynching" and an example of "white vigilantism" against people of color.

Monday's deadly incident has sparked protests and violent clashes and drawn comparisons to Bernie Goetz's shooting of four black teenagers after they allegedly tried to rob him on a subway in 1984.

Goetz claimed he was in self-defense. He was ultimately acquitted of attempted murder, but fined $5,000 and sentenced to six months in prison for illegal possession of weapons.

(Xinhua and Reuters)