Indonesia’s Bali volcano spews ash after alert status downgraded_World_Asia Pacific Daily

To download APD News app

1. Please scan the QR Code 2. Download and install APD News App

Indonesia’s Bali volcano spews ash after alert status downgraded

World2018-02-13

By APD writer Maverick JAKARTA, Feb. 13 (APD) — Indonesia’s Bali volcano of Mount Agung spewed volcanic ash up to 1,500 meters into the air on Tuesday after its alert status being downgraded from highest alert of level IV to III several days ago. However, the latest eruption did not give credible threat to neither public safety nor air transport serving the Indonesia’s resort island, an official at Indonesian agency monitoring the volcano said. “The wind direction was heading to the east, opposing the direction to the airport,” I Gede Suantika, an official at Indonesia’s Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG) said later in the day. He added that the flight alert mechanism of Volcano Observatory Notice for Arnav (VONA) was still set at orange code, meaning that it was still safe for flights to approach Bali international airport of I Gusti Ngurah Rai (DPS). He said that the eruption was minor if compared to the latest eruption that took place last month whose volcanic ash was towering high up to 2,500 meters. The Tuesday’s eruption took place on 11.49 a.m. local Bali time with overall process was recorded toast in 140 seconds, coupled by minor land tremors. Indonesian authorities downgraded the status on the volcano from top level of IV, which has been imposed since November last year, to level III on Saturday. The status downgrade was coupled with reduction of dangerous zone radius from the previous 6 to 4 kilometers, allowing the refugees to return to their houses within the allowed areas. The status downgrade was to follow suit results of observations and lowering tremor intensity in then last three weeks before the alert status downgrade was publicly declared, a PVMBG official overseeing mitigation in eastern region Devy Kamil said on Saturday. He said that the satellite monitoring the Bali volcano did not record hotspots in the crater during that period. “Learning from that results we see that should an eruption take place, the impact would be no further than 4 kilometers from the summit,” Devy said. He added that the status could be upgraded again if ‘force development’ from beneath the volcano rises up. Indonesian government has previously stated that daily life and tourism activities have returned to normal in Bali, not affected by activities of the volcano located in eastern part of the island. The volcano has been showing up and down activities since September whose eruption in November last year has briefly closed down the operation of Bali airport, eventually leaving tourism business in Indonesia’s ultimate destination in despair. (ASIA PACIFIC DAILY)

By APD writer Maverick

JAKARTA, Feb. 13 (APD) — Indonesia’s Bali volcano of Mount Agung spewed volcanic ash up to 1,500 meters into the air on Tuesday after its alert status being downgraded from highest alert of level IV to III several days ago.

However, the latest eruption did not give credible threat to neither public safety nor air transport serving the Indonesia’s resort island, an official at Indonesian agency monitoring the volcano said.

“The wind direction was heading to the east, opposing the direction to the airport,” I Gede Suantika, an official at Indonesia’s Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG) said later in the day.

He added that the flight alert mechanism of Volcano Observatory Notice for Arnav (VONA) was still set at orange code, meaning that it was still safe for flights to approach Bali international airport of I Gusti Ngurah Rai (DPS).

He said that the eruption was minor if compared to the latest eruption that took place last month whose volcanic ash was towering high up to 2,500 meters.

The Tuesday’s eruption took place on 11.49 a.m. local Bali time with overall process was recorded toast in 140 seconds, coupled by minor land tremors.

Indonesian authorities downgraded the status on the volcano from top level of IV, which has been imposed since November last year, to level III on Saturday.

The status downgrade was coupled with reduction of dangerous zone radius from the previous 6 to 4 kilometers, allowing the refugees to return to their houses within the allowed areas.

The status downgrade was to follow suit results of observations and lowering tremor intensity in then last three weeks before the alert status downgrade was publicly declared, a PVMBG official overseeing mitigation in eastern region Devy Kamil said on Saturday.

He said that the satellite monitoring the Bali volcano did not record hotspots in the crater during that period.

“Learning from that results we see that should an eruption take place, the impact would be no further than 4 kilometers from the summit,” Devy said.

He added that the status could be upgraded again if ‘force development’ from beneath the volcano rises up.

Indonesian government has previously stated that daily life and tourism activities have returned to normal in Bali, not affected by activities of the volcano located in eastern part of the island.

The volcano has been showing up and down activities since September whose eruption in November last year has briefly closed down the operation of Bali airport, eventually leaving tourism business in Indonesia’s ultimate destination in despair.

(ASIA PACIFIC DAILY)

Hot Recommended

  • Syrian Kurds outraged over mutilation of female fighter

  • Shanghai van incident: 18 injured as vehicle hits pedestrians

  • FIFA World Cup 2018 to use Pakistan-made footballs

  • What does secret Russia memo say and why does it matter?

  • Prince Harry reportedly set for a $70K hair transplant

  • SpaceX blasts off Luxembourg government satellite